Why an EP?

Why would I seek advice from an Educational Psychologist?

Why an EP?

Growing up, school and family life can be complex for children in today’s modern society.

Children’s development varies and there are many factors that can affect this.

We are approached to offer advice and provide assessment and recommendations to parents, schools and other professionals in relation to a range of special educational needs both within an educational setting and the home.

Through working with you we support academic, social, emotional and/or behavioural growth.

Educational Psychologists are also aware of other specialists who may assist with the difficulties, e.g. paediatricians, psychiatrists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, teachers, and will advise team working where appropriate. In addition they have a thorough knowledge of the educational provision for children in your area and can provide advice in relation to educational placement.


  • General learning difficulties (reading, maths, reading comprehension, spelling, reading or writing speed, processing, memory, organisation, planning);
  • Dyslexia, dyspraxia, and co-ordination difficulties;
  • Executive functioning, attention, concentration and/ or motivation;
  • Pupils not making appropriate progress;
  • The needs of gifted children;
  • Exam preparation.

Social / Interaction

  • Communication/social skills;
  • Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder;
  • Autism/ autistic spectrum disorders
  • Social skills and making friends;
  • Speech, language and communication difficulties;
  • Transition, including between schools (primary to secondary/ to further education).
  • Attachment difficulties;
  • Bereavement and loss;
  • Emotional, metal health or behavioural difficulties either in home or at school;
  • School avoidance;
  • ADHD.


Dyspraxia and co-ordination difficulties;
  • Assessment of development in the early years (2 onwards).


  • Independent advice in relation to parental requests to Local Authorities for Educational Health and Care plan assessments and tribunal hearings.